Saturday, November 19, 2005

Word on the Street (literally)

Dateline: picket line

An intrepid sociologist has learned that earlier this week NYU forbade Mail Service workers from honking in solidarity when they drive past Bobst.

Nothing quite screams confidence and strength like being afraid of an automotive horn.

Except maybe a pic of the honorable Dean Stimpson hiding behind a pillar outside of Bobst last week (she's the blurry bit of gray--just take my word for it.) In her defense, we were pretty threatening, chanting "BlackBoard," holding signs demanding fair labor practices, and demonstrating inside the NYPD barricades. That is, pretty threatening if you share culpability in an academic-espionage incident, send condescending emails, and probably possess a guilty conscience.


Lastly, new pics taken last Wednesday on the picket line, just before the Town Hall. Looking good, team!

2 Comments:

Blogger specter of marx said...

Ok, no sympathy striking--I get it. But I doubt this "no horn honking" rule is written in their contract. What next--mail service workers can't smile at us either? Geez!

11/19/2005 11:16 PM  
Anonymous David Epstein said...

Hello all. I'm an Inside Higher Ed reporter...two of my articles about the strike are linked on this page. I was wondering if anyone can identify the "intrepid sociologist" for me so I can ask about this no-honking business. Feel free to e-mail me at david.epstein@insidehighered.com

11/21/2005 2:32 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home